Mason Jar Salads
Mason jar salads are a convenient, budget-friendly way to jam pack a meal with nutrients. They are completely customizable too! Two variations are included here, 'The Mediterranean' featuring tomatoes, cucumber, spinach and couscous and 'The Farmer's Market' featuring carrots, zucchini and spring lettuces. Using a wide mouth quart-size jar, the secret is all in the layers for the right balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Bottom to top: vinaigrette, crunchy veggies, beans, grains, protein, greens and "toppings."
>Add oil and vinegar to jar first, replace lid and shake.
>Then layer the remaining whole ingredients, in order as listed, into a wide mouth quart-size mason jar.
>Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
>Gently shake jar before eating to mix salad and disperse vinaigrette. Can be enjoyed directly from jar, or transferred to a bowl.
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 T.)
- 1/2-3/4 c. cherry tomatoes and cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 c. organic chick peas (rinsed, if using canned)
- 1/2 c. couscous
- 1/2 c. cooked chicken breast, chopped in thin slices
- 1 c. spinach
- 2 t. feta cheese
- 4-5 pitted kalamata olives, diced
THE FARMER'S MARKET
- 2 1/2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 c. white onion, carrot and cucumber, diced
- 1/4 c. black beans (rinsed, if using canned)
- 1/2 c. red quinoa
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 c. spring mix
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
T. = tablespoon| t. = teaspoon